Assorted rice paper rolls, also known as “bánh tráng cuốn thập cẩm,” are a popular Vietnamese dish that features a combination of fresh vegetables, herbs, rice noodles, and a variety of fillings wrapped in delicate rice paper. These rolls are not only visually appealing but also bursting with flavors and textures. In this recipe, we will guide you through the steps to create these delightful and healthy rice paper rolls. Let’s get started!
For the rice paper rolls:
- Rice paper wrappers (round shape)
- Rice vermicelli noodles
- Assorted fresh vegetables (such as lettuce, cucumber, carrots, bell peppers)
- Fresh herbs (such as mint, basil, cilantro)
- Protein fillings (such as grilled shrimp, sliced grilled pork, tofu, or cooked chicken)
- Optional: Bean sprouts, pickled daikon and carrots, crushed peanuts
For the dipping sauce:
- Hoisin sauce
- Peanut butter
- Soy sauce
- Lime juice
- Garlic, minced
- Optional: Chili sauce, fish sauce, or sriracha for added spice
- Prepare the fillings and toppings:
- Cook the rice vermicelli noodles according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Wash and prepare the fresh vegetables by slicing them into thin strips or julienne.
- Rinse the fresh herbs and pat them dry. Remove the leaves from the stems.
- If using protein fillings, ensure they are cooked and sliced into thin pieces.
- Soften the rice paper wrappers:
- Fill a large shallow dish or a wide bowl with warm water.
- Dip one rice paper wrapper into the water, ensuring it is fully submerged for a few seconds until it becomes pliable.
- Carefully remove the rice paper from the water and place it on a clean, damp kitchen towel or a smooth surface.
- Assemble the rice paper rolls:
- Place a few strips of vegetables, herbs, and protein filling (if using) in the center of the rice paper wrapper.
- Add a small amount of cooked rice vermicelli noodles on top.
- Fold the bottom of the rice paper wrapper over the fillings.
- Fold in the sides of the wrapper and continue rolling tightly until the roll is fully sealed.
- Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients.
- Make the dipping sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine hoisin sauce, peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, minced garlic, and water.
- Stir well until the ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- Adjust the sauce to your taste by adding more water or lime juice if desired.
- Optional: Add chili sauce, fish sauce, or sriracha for additional flavor and spiciness.
- Serve and enjoy:
- Arrange the prepared rice paper rolls on a serving platter.
- Serve them with the dipping sauce on the side.
- Optional: Sprinkle crushed peanuts on top and garnish with additional herbs.
- Dip the rice paper rolls into the sauce, bite in, and savor the vibrant flavors and textures of this delicious Vietnamese delicacy.
- Experiment with different fillings such as avocado, mango, or grilled beef for unique flavor combinations.
- Add a touch of sweetness by including sliced fruit like pineapple or papaya in your rolls.
Conclusion: Assorted rice paper rolls are a delightful and healthy dish that showcases the freshness and vibrant flavors of Vietnamese cuisine. With a combination of crisp vegetables, fragrant herbs, and flavorful fillings, these rolls offer a satisfying and nutritious dining experience. Enjoy creating your own customized rolls